Submissions will be accepted online between 6 January 2021 (10am) and 1 March 2021 (2pm).
To apply, up to 5 artworks should be submitted through our submission website.
There is a £25 submission fee, which goes towards the administration costs of the selection process. The fee is non-refundable and is to be paid through PayPal on the submission site.
Being selected for the 2021 programme includes:
- Exhibiting as part of Bloomberg New Contemporaries 2021 at both Firstsite, Colchester & South London Gallery with an artist’s fee and reasonable travel and accommodation costs covered for the private view of both exhibitions;
- Participating in New Contemporaries Bridget Riley Artists’ Professional Development Programme, which includes 1to1 mentoring delivered in partnership with Artquest; Peer Networking Sessions; Symposia and other educational opportunities;
- Contributing to our Digital Programme of blogs, vlogs, workshops, events and the opportunity to present work on our online spaces;
- Being eligible, as alumni, for Studio Bursaries, Residencies, Scholarships and other opportunities;
- Being part of a network of other participating artists and previous alumni that spans over 70 years including: post-war figures Frank Auerbach, Bruce Lacey and Paula Rego; pop artists Frank Bowling, Patrick Caulfield and David Hockney; new media pioneers Stuart Brisley, Helen Chadwick and Derek Jarman; YBAs Damien Hirst, Chris Ofili and Gillian Wearing; alongside contemporary figures such as Tacita Dean, Sunil Gupta, Mark Leckey and Mona Hatoum; and more recently a new generation of exceptional artists including Monster Chetwynd, Rachel Maclean, Haroon Mirza, Hardeep Pandhal, Laure Prouvost and Lynette Yiadom-Boakye.
We are committed to inclusion and equal opportunities and encourage submissions from artists of all backgrounds, ages, genders, socio-economic backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, and from those who identify as having a disability.
We are happy to assist artists who may identify as having a disability with the application process. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
An audio version of the guidelines can be found on each page and a step-by-step video on uploading your submission can be found here:
Download the full Submission Guidelines here:
New Contemporaries 2021 Submission Guidelines